Gajar Ka Halwa - Indian Carrot Pudding
This is one of the easiest desserts to make if you have a food processor. Grating it is a little time-consuming but the results are so yummy that I did not mind doing it once in a while. But now that I have a blender which comes with a food processor attachment life is so much easier!
- 3 cups of grated carrots
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbs sugar (this is how much I needed to reach my preferred level of sweetness, you can use more or less)
- 3 cups of 2% milk (or whole milk)
- 6-8 green cardamom pods
- 2 tbs of oil or ghee
- 10-12 raisins
- Some slivered almonds for garnishing (optional)
How I made it:
- Added ghee to the pan and to it went the cardamoms, lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle.
- Added the carrots that I had shredded in the food processor along with the sugar and stirred continuously till the sugar caramelized and the mixture turned a darker color.
- Added the milk and raisins to the mixture and cooked, stirring continuously till all the liquid evaporated.
It tastes best when served warm.