Summer vacation is over and the kids are back to school! And this is the time when Mommies rack our brains to come up with after-school snack which would be wholesome and the kids would love. The Oatmeal Jam Squares are perfect with a glass of milk.
What was needed:
- 100gm (3/4 stick) of butter at room temperature and some extra for greasing the pan (I used Amul)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats (I used Kellogg's)
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar, tightly packed.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt, if you are using unsalted butter.
- 7-8 tablespoons of Jam - I used Kissan mixed fruit jam.
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) in convection mode. Grease the pan with butter. I used a Borosil glass pan as the microwave oven I used said - Do not use metal.
In a bowl combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt using a fork. Add the butter and brown sugar to it and combine till it becomes a crumbly mixture.Using your hands press about half of the oat mixture into the greased pan. In a separate bowl, take the jam and using a spoon break it down mix it well so that it becomes spreadable. Spoon it over the layer of oatmeal. Sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture over the top.
Bake until light brown, about 25 minutes. Let it cool completely - you can also stick it into the fridge for an hour or so. Once the jam has set, cut into small pieces. Serve.with a glass of milk or with a cuppa of your favorite hot beverage.