I have given up the fight to keep my extreme cravings for fried stuff at bay - but have come up with a new strategy. I just eat my fried stuff along with a humongous bowl of salad. I honestly do not know how effective it is but I am definitely happier that I am not giving up my love for fried food altogether and at the same time not feeling guilty by having a big bowl of greens.
- Chickpea - 1 1/2 Cups (I had soaked a little less than a cup overnight)
- Flour - 5 tbs (or a little more to get the right consistency)
- Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 fat cloves, minced
- Green Chili - 2 or 3, finely chopped (depending on how much heat you like)
- Cilantro - 1/2 Cup, finely chopped
- Lemon juice - 2 or 3 squeezes
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Chaat Masala - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste + a little for sprinkling
- Water - 1 tbs (only if chickpea needs a little more liquid while grinding)
- Oil - 1 tbs + enough for frying
In a food processor first grind the soaked chickpeas along with lemon juice & oil till it forms a coarse paste. Add the water if required. To the chickpea paste add the remaining ingredients (except the oil which is for frying of course :D). Give it a few pulses till everything gets incorporated - the batter is going to be thick.
On medium high, heat oil in a wok/pan. Using two tablespoons drop dollops of batter into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle little salt while it is still hot. Serve with your favorite condiment.