Since my Baba is diabetic, I switched out half of semolina with half oats which was leftover from my Oil-free/Butterless Oatmeal Muffins. If you want, you can use just oats flour or semolina.
My recipe is loosely based on Tarla Dalal's.
Ingredients: Yield - about 7 or 8 medium sized ones
- Oats flour -1/2 cup
- Semolina - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Grated ginger - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Water - about half cup, batter should of pouring consistency (add little more if required)
- Salt to taste
- Onions - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Green bell pepper - 1/3 cup, finely chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 Cup, shredded
- Cilantro - 1 tbsp, packed, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 1 (or more), minced
- Enough oil to fry
Mix oat flour, semolina, yogurt, grated ginger and salt. Let it ferment for 1 hour. Mix in the veggies along with the cumin seeds. Add water by the spoonful till you get the right consistency. Give it a gentle whisk.
Heat a pan on medium-high heat and coat it with oil. Pour ladle-full of batter (I used a 1/4 cup measure) and using the back of a spoon spread it out. Reduce the flame and fry till the sides start setting. Using a spatula carefully flip it. If the batter is undercooked, the uttapam will break.
Fry the other side for couple more minutes and transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve hot with your choice of condiment.