This is a favorite! Not only with the family but with the friends as well. We love eating it with warm roti, a quick-fix salad of onions & cucumbers, a side of steamed veggies and we will always follow it up with something sweet!
Ingredients: Serves 4
- Moong Dal - 2 tbsp.
- Masoor Dal - 2 tbsp.
- Urad Dal - 2 tbsp.
- Chana Dal - 2 tbsp.
- Green Moong Dal - 4 tbsp.
Soak the lentils for about an hour. Rinse, drain and pressure cook with enough water till soft (2-3 whistles). Set aside.
- Onions - 1 big, sliced in half moons
- Garlic - 2 fat cloves, minced
- Ginger - 1 tbsp. grated
- Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
- Cilantro - a handful, chopped
- Kasuri Methi - a handful, crushed between the palms
- Green chilies - 1 (or more, depending on your heat preference)
- Ghee - 1 tsp + 1 tsp (You can use oil as well)
Spices: Set 1
- Cumin Seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamom slightly crushed
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp (powdered made from 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamom slightly)
Spices: Set 2 for tadka/tempering
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Red Chilies - 2, split
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Bay leaf - 1 small
Heat 1 tbsp. of ghee/oil in a pan. Temper with whole garam masala & cumin seeds (spices from set 1). Once the cumin starts spluttering, add the slice onions, grated ginger and minced garlic. Fry till fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes & green chili to it and cook for few minutes till you see the oil separating from the side. Add the remaining spices from set 1 - coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder. Cook for few minutes till the raw spice smell is gone. Add the cooked dal to it (do not drain the water), cook till some of the liquid evaporates and reaches your desired consistency. Sprinkle the chopped cilantro and crushed kasuri methi.
Heat the remaining 1 tsp ghee in another pan and temper it with the bay leaf, red chilies, asafetida and cumin seed (spices from set 2). Once it starts spluttering add it to the cooked dal. Cover and cook for couple more minutes. Give it one final stir and you are done! Serve hot!