The ingredient of the Month (April) is Kickass Quinoa - a superfood in its own right.
Last weekend we were at picturesque Sewanee, Tennessee visiting my school friend, D and her family and what a delightful time it was. We hiked, gorged on yummy food, drank a lot, laughed a lot, met some wonderful people and even went out on a double date night sans the kids. We brought back a lot warm memories.
We came back late night Monday and the rest of the week was a blur - there were just too many things to do. It wasn't until today that I got back to cooking for Ingredient for the Month. The idea behind this came to me in my dreams! Go ahead.. laugh all you want to! But that's exactly what happened. Off to the recipe now...
Check out how to cook quinoa here.
- Cooked Quinoa - 2 Cups (recipe here)
- Onions - 1 medium, chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 Cup, chopped
- Peas - 1/2 Cup
- Ginger - 1/2 inch, finely chopped
- Curry leaves - a couple of sprigs, washed and dried
- Cilantro - 2 packed tbsp, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 1 or 2, slit
- Urad Daal - 1 tbsp, washed and dried (optional)
- Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
Heat oil in a pan and temper with the mustard seeds, urad daal, green chilies and ginger. Fry few a couple of minutes till fragrant. Add the onions and carrots and cook till the carrots soften a little. Now tip in the peas and cooked quinoa and give it a good stir. Season it with salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Add a little water (about half a cup), cover and cook till the liquid evaporated everything comes together nicely. Sprinkle the cilantro and take the pan off heat.