Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup
Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup
This Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup recipe has been lying in the draft section for long enough! I have made and blogged about quite a few recipes after I had made this yummy and spicy (you can adjust the spice level to taste) soup a couple of months back. It at last gets to see the light of the day!
Many a times, while we are eating at a restaurant or café, I have found myself saying, - "oh you guys like it, I'll make it for you at home". This has become a standing joke between the husband and I! Though, truth be told, I am not sure why he finds it so amusing! May be he's laughing at my forgetfulness. I'll ask him tonight, that is if I remember to! I mean, I know that I said I'll recreate the Panang Curry but ended up making this Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup and at other times I have just plain forgotten what it was that I wanted to recreate in the first place.
But I did make this Orange and Cranberry Buttermilk Scones - one of the few million things that I said that I will recreate at home!
Anyhoo! On to the recipe before I forget all about it again!
Ingredients for Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup
- One pack of noodles cooked according to package instructions
- 3/4 pound of cleaned, shelled, deveined shrimps with tail on
- 3 tbsp. Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 tsp of fish sauce
- 1 Can of Coconut milk
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 3 fat cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 stalk of lemon grass, thinly sliced
- 3 Cups of chicken stock
- 1/4 Cup + 2 tbsp. of chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 large head of bok choy, chopped
- Zest of a whole lime (since I could not find kaffir lime leaves in our local grocery stores)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 stalks of green onion, thinly sliced (for garnishing)
- Couple of Thai chilies, sliced
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
How to make Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup
Heat coconut oil in a medium sized sauce pan and fry the ginger, garlic and lemongrass till the heady aroma of lemongrass and garlic and ginger hits you. Stir in the Thai red Curry Paste followed by the chopped cilantro, lime zest and cook for 3 to 4 minutes,
Next whisk in the fish sauce, coconut milk and season with salt and pepper and simmer for few minutes. Throw in the chopped bok choy and pour in the chicken broth and let it cook for few more minutes.
Add the shrimps and cook till they turn pink. Keep a constant eye or the shrimps will become tough if over-cooked. Immediately, stir in the cooked noodles and take it off the heat. Add couple of squeezes of lime juice, garnish with sliced green onions, chopped cilantro and sliced Thai chilies. Serve hot.